I love Sunday brunches in Philly. Even though I try to visit a new place every time I go out to brunch, there’s something about Green Eggs Cafe that keeps me coming back. It’s probably because of their red velvet pancakes. If you’ve ever gone to Green Eggs, you know that their pancake portions are GINORMOUS. I could never finish an entire plate, so whenever I go, I usually split the kids size version with friends as a brunch “appetizer” in true tubby fashion. And more importantly, my favorite brunch food is Eggs Benedict and I can never turn down Green Eggs’ extensive eggs benny menu (seriously, what kind of tubby would I be to say no to Pork Belly or Chicken & Waffles Eggs Benedict?! Mmm…) so all the more reason to get the kiddie size!
These pancakes are surprisingly easy to make. The batter is fairly simple and although I’m guilty of using Bisquick every now and then making these from scratch is totally worth it!
The only tricky part is “stuffing” the pancakes with chocolate. After pouring half the pancake batter onto a hot skillet, I quickly put a handful of mini chocolate chips before pouring on the remaining pancake batter. You have to work fairly quickly so the pancake cooks evenly. Another note: generally, the rule is to wait until you see bubbles appearing on the pancake’s surface before flipping. I didn’t want the pretty red pancakes to burn, so I flipped it a little earlier. Give it around two minutes!
When all the pancakes were done, I layered them with a strawberry mascarpone and topped off the stack with fresh strawberries and some whipped cream. Green Eggs serves theirs with maple syrup but I don’t think they need the extra sugar!
red velvet chocolate stuffed pancakes (adapted from Cooking Classy)
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
1 tablespoon white vinegar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
5 teaspoons red food coloring
1 teaspoon vanilla
5 tablespoons butter, unsalted and melted
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
10 large strawberries, chopped
1/2 cup mascarpone cheese
2 tablespoons powdered sugar
1. Mix dry ingredients in a bowl (flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt).
2. In a separate bowl, add milk and vinegar. Let this mixture sit for three minutes before adding the remaining ingredients: sugar, eggs, red food coloring, vanilla, and butter.
3. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet mixture until fully incorporated.
4. Heat a non-stick skillet at medium-high heat. While the skillet warms up, mix the chopped strawberries, mascarpone cheese, and powdered sugar in a small bowl.
5. Pour about half of a 1/3 measuring cup of batter onto a hot, non-stick skillet. Add chocolate chips if desired and add the remaining batter, covering the chocolate chips.
6. Cook for about 2 minutes before flipping and finishing the opposite side! Done!
7. Spread strawberry-mascarpone mixture in between pancake layers. Top with chopped strawberries, whipped cream, and powdered sugar if desired. Enjoy!